It’s August now, but soon the weather will be starting to warm up, plants and flowers will be coming to life, and there will just be that wonderful feeling of ‘spring in the air’. Apart from a spring clean, spring is also the time to bring some of that wonderful outside – into your home.
Did you know you can actually breathe new life into your home, simply by embracing the season?
Here are some great ways to add a touch of spring to your home:
- Plants – adding some flowers and plants to your home are a great way to bring the outside in, while adding a touch of colour to the home. By embracing all the new plants and flowers that are growing and blooming you not only add colour, you add some amazing and subtle fragrances as well. Lovely fresh plants will also help clean the air for you. If like most people you have had the doors and windows shut through winter, fresh plants will help clear away that stale air.
- Floral décor – mix up the decor you have now with a few bright and bold floral prints. There are many ways you can achieve this – cushions, dinnerware, throws, wallpaper, rugs, or even artwork. For your child’s bedroom why not try some removable floral decals. The key to doing this right is to just pick one or two statement floral items, that are in a colour that compliments your current dé Look for some modern floral prints as you don’t want to create an old-fashioned look.
- Spring colour palette – if you really want to go all out and embrace spring, change your colour palette to suit the season. Depending on your personal preferences and the decor you have currently you could try going for a bright and colourful look – using oranges, pinks and greens or create a simple but fresh and clean look using white and pale blue. You really want to introduce these seasonal looks with some non-permanent touches such as pillows, throws, other soft furnishings, artwork and accessories like candles, photo frames and vases. Some fresh, white cotton sheets are another way to freshen your home for spring.
- Natural Materials – you can really embrace and enhance nature in spring by bringing some materials inside from the outside. Rustic features and handicrafts are very popular right now and can be bought from your local furniture stores. Raw wood, rattan, grass cloth, straw and woven materials like natural fibres and fabrics such as linen and cotton. All these items look great as a feature piece or you can go all out and update your whole room.
- Fragrances – no matter the season, scents always make a huge difference to the ambience of a home, a great way to add some fresh spring scents is by using room sprays or scented candles. When selecting your fragrances always think light and fresh and go for citrus, florals, fruit and other plant inspired fragrances. Try and avoid the *heavier* fragrances that are more suited to the colder months like vanilla, cinnamon, bergamot or sandalwood. Spray some lavender on your pillow, it will not only give you a great night’s sleep, it’s also very refreshing. Essential oils are also lovely to burn, and don’t give off the same *smoke* that a candle can, they also provide a stronger and longer lasting scent.
- De-Clutter – Spring is the time to go through your cupboards and drawers, be vicious and keep only what you need or love. Toss out all the magazines and newspapers and other clutter that has been gathering throughout winter.
- Clean – clean your home from top to bottom, starting with your windows, if your curtains are dirty then don’t hesitate to wash them, open your windows and let in all that fresh air and light.
Your home is a place to relax and unwind, and Spring is a great season, as we slowly emerge from winter woollies and start enjoying longer days and warmer weather, adding colour and plants and some little touches to your home can lift your spirits and create some harmony inside your home.